A dog named Jasper and an NBA team recently made the headlines as social media success stories. What can social media managers learn from these two stories to drive their business’ social media influence? Let’s take a look.
Jasper the dog
As reported by IJReview.com, Jasper the dog disappeared on a mountain while he was out on a walk with his owner. His owner posted a picture of Jasper along with a plea for help. Jasper’s photo, tagged with #findJasper, spread like wildfire across Facebook and Twitter. A Facebook group was created and recruited some 6,500 members. Strangers joined in the search. And five days later, Jasper was found and reunited with his owner. The whole story was documented by tweets, posts and hashtags.
What we can learn from Jasper
There may still be some old school social media managers out there who would argue that Jasper proves the power of posting dog photos on Facebook. But this story is so much more than that.
Thousands of people took action to help Jasper because they connected emotionally with the situation. That emotional connection will no doubt stay with them for a long time – particularly with the folks who took to the rugged mountain terrain to search for a stranger’s dog. To forge genuine, lasting connections with your followers on social media:
- Find ways to bring people together – stay relevant to your business and enlist the help of your fans for a common cause
- Be sincere and promote the good – be real because fans will see right through stunts
- Create positive journeys and experiences – get creative here; think about how your business adds value to people’s lives
- Tell real stories and encourage your followers to do the same
The Utah Jazz
The Utah Jazz recently began displaying game-time hashtags and Facebook posts, tweets, and Instagram photos on Jazz television broadcasts and in the team’s home stadium. As reported by Business2Community.com, the program quickly generated serious Jazz buzz. During the season opener, which happened to coincide with Game Seven of the World Series, #HOUatUTA was the #6 nationally trending topic.
What we can learn from the Jazz
Sports teams have built-in social media appeal. They inspire loyalty, fierce competitive spirit and endless chatter from their fans. But you don’t need to be a sports team to glean a few insights from the Jazz’ recent social media success. Try these tips to tap into the loyalty of your followers:
- Use official hashtags to organize and inspire chatter around your events
- Make your followers feel like their voices matter – share, like, retweet and comment on your followers’ contributions to the conversion
- Invite complements and criticism – encourage your followers to feel like they play a role in your success
- Align followers around common enemies – define what problems your product/service solves and align your followers around it
Get creative with your social media channels and find ways to bring your fans and followers together around a common cause. Think of social media as a form of reality entertainment where your followers are stars, heroes and winners. Give people a voice and a community; put them on your team. Create lasting impressions by creating the right experiences.